Sarawak Youth Talent (SYT) 2021 is co-organize by Sarawak Research Society @ SRS and the Faculty of Hospitality and Tourism Management @ FHTM, UCSI University Sarawak Campus with the support of the Ministry of Tourism, Arts, and Culture @ MTAC Sarawak and Jabatan Pendidikan Negeri (JPN) Sarawak. This contest starts from 1st April 2021 until 14th August 2021 (4 months 14 days), aims to promote responsible tourism and behaviour among the young generation in Sarawak, foster creativity among them and provide a platform for them to be actively involved in responsible tourism development. The theme for this SYT 2021 is Responsible Behaviour towards Tourism, Arts and Culture in Sarawak.
Tourism is a social, cultural and economic phenomenon which entails the movement of people to countries or places outside their usual environment for personal or business/professional purposes. Tourism includes domestic tourism (involving residents of the given country traveling only within the country), inbound tourism (involving nonresidents traveling in the country), and outbound tourism (involving residents traveling to another country). It includes travel activities, hospitality services and destinations, as well as involves multiple stakeholders in the industry.
Art is a diverse range of human activities involving the creation of visual, auditory or performing artefacts (artworks), to express the imagination, conceptual ideas, or technical skill through their works or production. It includes visual art (painting, sculpture, and architecture), music, theatre, film, dance, and other performing arts, as well as literature and other media such as interactive media. Arts are an important component in multiple industries due to the meaning and message they deliver through artworks, performance/exhibition, and festivals.
Culture is the patterns of learnt and shared beliefs and behaviors of a particular ethnic or social group. There are two types of culture. First, the nonmaterial culture (symbolic culture) includes the values, beliefs, symbols, and languages which are manifested as their traditions and practices. Second, the material culture includes the physical objects, such as clothing, utensils, and buildings, which are regarded as the heritage products. Culture is an essential part of human life and societal development. Museum and cultural village, for example, are places where cultural products are kept and preserved.
a) Poster Design Contest – Secondary school students
b) One-Minute Videography Contest – University/College students
**Students under 18 years old are compulsory to acquire permission from the supervisor (parent, teacher or guardian) to participate in SYT2021.
Open for Registration and Submission : 1st April 2021
Close for Registration and Submission : 20th July 2021 (12 Noon)
Evaluation Period : 24th July – 6th August 2021 (2 weeks)
|Award Ceremony |
Date : 14th August 2021
Time : 10:00 AM – 11:30 PM
Venue : Ballroom, UCSI Hotel Kuching & Facebook Live (Virtual)
The winning contestants will receive the following:
|High Schools Category|
|Poster Contest||RM300 (5 Outstanding awards) |
RM100 (5 Commended awards)
|Colleges/University Category or High Education Category|
|1-Minutes Videography Contest||RM400 (5 Outstanding awards) |
RM150 (5 Commended awards)
1. Apart from prize money, there will be other prizes in non-monetary form.
2. Prizes will be sent to the winners after the Event. Arrangement will be made between the organizer and the winners.
(REGISTRATION FORM (with terms and conditions))
- Each contestant must complete a registration form. Incomplete form will not be processed.
- Completed form as well as production (video or poster) must be submitted to Ms. Mandy Chen by 20th July 2021. She can be contacted at email@example.com or +6014-2871389. The production will go through preliminary screening to ensure its suitability.
- Contestants are given more than 4 months to complete their work; closing date will be on 20th July 2021.
- Productions submitted after the closing date will not be accepted. Completed/Scanned registration form are required to confirm registration. The organizer will not be held liable for any damage or loss to the submitted productions.
- Entries will be judged equally based on (A) Relevance to the Theme [30%]; (B) Originality or Creativity [40%]; and (C) Delivery of Message [30%].
- Judges’ votes are final, conclusive, and binding. Their votes will make up 60% of the total scores. The votes from the contestants will make up 20%, and the votes from the public based on the number of likes on each production on Sarawak Youth Talent Facebook page from 24th July to 6th August 2021 which make up the remaining 10%. No further appeal, enquiry and/ or correspondence will be entertained.
All completed registration forms along with the productions (either videography in MP4 or storytelling poster in PDF) have to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org directly by 12 noon on 20th July 2020.
- The content must be related to the theme of SYT2021.
- Poster must be prepared in the digital form with the size of A4 paper (297×210 mm).
- The content must be written in English (except for specific terms).
- Poster must clearly show: (1) specific aspect(s) of responsible behaviour or action, and (2) the selected theme (tourism, arts or culture). The descriptions of tourism, arts and culture are provided on our website.
- Poster should deliver a meaningful message (using images and words) in accordance with its theme.
- The production in PDF or image file (JPEG or PNG). The content will be reviewed before sending for evaluation.
One-Minute Videography Guidelines
- The content must be related to the theme of SYT2021.
- Video must not exceed 1 minute. Narration must be in English. BM or Mandarin is allowed if subtitles in English are provided.
- Video must clearly show: (1) specific aspect(s) of responsible behaviour or action, and (2) the selected theme (tourism, arts or culture). The descriptions of tourism, arts and culture are provided on our website.
- Video should deliver a meaningful message (using images and words) in accordance with its theme.
- The production in MP4 in good quality (at least 1920×1080 px). The content will be reviewed before sending for evaluation.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Every contestant must provide valid information on the registration form. Incomplete form will not be considered.
- Every submission must be done by individual. Registration by groups is not accepted.
- All submitted productions must be the original works of the contestants, and no part or component thereof is copied from any other works.
- By submitting a production to SYT2021, each contestant confirms that he/she is the legal and/or beneficial owner or otherwise has the intellectual property rights to submit such production; and therefore, warrant that he/she has obtained rights in incorporating copyright materials i.e. music, soundtrack, audio, images and video clips in his/her production. Each production and any part thereof shall not at any time infringe or violate any laws or the rights of third party.
- Submitted productions must not have been submitted to or contested in any other contests or events before.
- Submitted productions must not contain or reference any names or products of any company or any third-party trademarks, logos, or recognizable figures without formal consent
- Inappropriate productions that are lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous, illegal, offensive, or otherwise contain controversial content or objectionable material should not be submitted. The Organizer reserves the right to remove or demand the contestant to remove/revise such content at any time at Organizer’s sole discretion.
- By submitting the productions, the contestants have granted the Organizer exclusive rights to use them for promotional purpose whenever appropriate and necessary.
- All costs and any expenses in connection with the productions shall be fully borne by the contestants.
- Every contestant will receive e-Certificate of Participation. Certificate of Recognition will be given to individuals who win the contest.
- Contestants are not required to attend the award-giving ceremony physically on 14th August 2021 as they can join the ceremony online.
SYT Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SarawakYouthTalent